Tuesday, April 10, 2007

The Waiting Game

Have you ever considered the relationship between waiting for your baby to be born and waiting for the 2nd coming of Christ? This is something that I have been thinking about a lot recently. Certainly, we have read many times about the quickness of the 2nd coming in 1 Thessalonians 5. Christ will come like "a thief in the night. While people are saying, 'There is peace and security,' then sudden destruction will come upon them as labor pains come upon a pregnant woman..." My wife knows all about this now. Labor pains come upon her suddenly.
From a man's perspective, I don't really understand this. We are not the ones feeling the pain. And the majority of the time (in the morning), while she is teaching, I don't see her in these pains, since I am at home studying for my seminary class. So, what does this waiting process look like from a guys perspective? And should we wait the same way for the 2nd coming of Christ? My responsibility is to be found ready when my cell phone rings. And it will come quickly. However, do I sit and stare at the phone all day while nothing else gets accomplished? NO! I prepare/clean the house. I get the bags and car ready. I get my work done, so that when the phone does ring, I will be ready to go. The same is true as we wait for the 2nd coming of Christ. I do not sit at home and stare at the sky all day (or even worse, sin). Instead, I strive to accomplish his work so that when the "trumpet sounds", I am found blameless. Oh, how much greater that joy will be when Christ comes and we are found doing his work. I hope that you will be ready and not be taken by surprise at the 2nd coming. James 5:8 says, "Establish your hearts, FOR the coming of the Lord is at hand."--Chaun

3 comments:

Megan said...

Oooooo! I am so excited for you and when I got your email I was hoping to hear that Baby Bergmeier had arrived. I will keep you in my prayers this week and will check your blog daily (or multiple times each day) for an update!

The Olsons - Nic, Megan, Corinn & Noah

Paula Zuehlke said...

Wow... blogs are so cool for this very reason. Can't wait to hear about little baby b

We'll be praying for you all.. hope to hear something soon :)

Anonymous said...

Cool illustration buddy.